Pakistan Players in CPL T20 2017
CPL 2017 Pakistani Players Names List & Teams
The contingent of Pakistan cricketers registering themselves for the Caribbean Premier League CPL player draft had increased from 38 cricketers last year to 46 this year. The number is the highest among any overseas nation.
Last season, five Pakistani players were picked up by all of the franchises combined. Ahmed Shehzad and Shoaib Malik went to the Barbados Tridents while Umar Akmal signed for Trinbago Knight Riders. Jamaica Tallawahs signed Imad Wasim with Sohail Tanvir heading to the Guyana Amazon Warriors.
Imad and Tanvir squared off against each other in last season’s grand finale. Both players were instrumental to the success of their respective franchises last season. While Imad picked up 11 wickets in the competition and produced a man-of-the-match performance in the final, Sohail picked up 20 wickets in the competition to be the second highest wicket-taker in the CPL. Dwayne Bravo, with 21 wickets, was the leading wicket-taker in the 2016 CPL.
Malik proved to be the highest run-scorer for his franchise with 263 runs in 10 innings. While Shehzad could not quite succeed last season Akmal had an average tournament, scoring 179 runs.
Sohail has been retained by the Amazon Warriors for the 2017 CPL while Shoaib Malik was signed once again by the Barbados Tridents. Imad Wasim signed for the Tallawahs once again in this year’s auction while they also secured Mohammad Sami’s signature with the latter proving to be quite a performer in the shortest format of the game.
Kamran Akmal, the Pakistan wicket-keeper batsman, sold for 15,000 USD with St Lucia Stars getting their man. Akmal has been in great form in T20 cricket as he became the man of the tournament in the just concluded Pakistan Super League competition.
Elsewhere, Shahdab Khan and Wahab Riaz also found takers in the draft. While Khan signed for Trinbago Knight Riders, Barbados Tridents found a spot for fast-bowler Riaz.
This year’s player auction was held on 10th March, 2017. A lot of the big guns of the T20 circuit in the international arena were a part of the auctions. CPL is all set to kick off its 5th edition from August 1st to September 9th 2017. The 7 Pakistani players drafted into the CPL 2017 are placed below;
Pakistani Cricketers drafted into Caribbean Premier League 2017
- Pakistan all-rounder Sohail Tanvir was a coveted pick and was up by Guyana Amazon Warriors for $160,000.
- Shoaib Malik will play for Barbados Tridents for $110,000.
- Pakistan wicket-keeper batsman Kamran Akmal was picked up by St. Lucia Stars for $15,000.
- Pakistan all-rounder Imad Wasim and bowler Mohammad Sami were picked up by Jamaica Tallawahs for $90,000 and $70,000 respectively.
- The 18-year-old allrounder Shadab Khan who played for Islamabad United was picked by Trinbago Knight Riders for $ 30,000.
- Wahab Riaz will play for Barbados Tridents for $30,000.
- Babar Azam is the latest to join the CPL tournament. He joins Guyana Amazon Warriors as a replacement for injured Chris Lynn.
- St Kitts & Nevis Patriots have picked up Pakistani duo Mohammad Hafeez and Hasan Ali.